Lost, Stolen Colorado Driver’s License or ID Card

Lost, Stolen Colorado Driver’s License or ID Card

Colorado driver's license designIf your Colorado driver’s license or ID card is lost, stolen or mutilated, you can get a replacement from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

You might lose or misplace your license, it might be destroyed by fire, flood, explosion or other disasters, it might be stolen, or it might be mutilated, such as a dog chewing on it.

If you need to have a document notarized, you must have a government-issued photo ID, or you must know a notary personally, or you must have a credible witness, who knows you and the notary.

The Colorado DMV provides a process for getting a duplicate or replacement license or ID, described on their website at Lost/Stolen Colorado Driver’s License.

Duplicate License for a Minor or Commercial Driver’s License

A minor, under age 21, or a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) holder, may get a duplicate license. The expiration date will not change.

Replacement Driver’s License or ID Card for Adults

Other adults must apply for a renewal to get a replacement license or ID, with a new expiration date. The previously issued license will no longer be valid.

You may schedule an appointment, or visit any driver’s license office without an appointment. If you are eligible (see DMV website), you may renew online, or by mail.

If you visit a driver’s license office to replace your license, permit or ID, be prepared to:

1. Verbally provide your Name and Date of Birth

2. Show proof of your Social Security Number (SSN)

Note: Proof can be verbally provided if social security card is lost/stolen.

Acceptable documents to provide proof of Social Security number are:

Social Security Account number card (not laminated)
W-2 form
SSA-1099 form
Non-SSA-1099 form
Pay stub with the applicant’s name and SSN on it
Can be verbally provided if above documents are not available and you are a current Colorado driver license, identification card, instruction permit holder

3. Show proof of your current physical Colorado address on 2 acceptable documents

Note: Proof can be verbally provided if lost/stolen and no change of address is needed.

Example documents showing current physical address, not a PO Box, dated within the last 12 months, include:

Computer Generated Bill (utility, credit card, doctor, hospital, etc.)
Bank Statement
Pre-Printed Pay Stub
First-Class Mail (government agency or court)
Current Homeowner’s, Renter’s, or Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy
Mortgage, Lease, or Rental Contract
Transcript or Report Card from an Accredited School
Motor Vehicle Registration
USPS Change Of Address Form (CNL107)
W-2, SSA-1099, Non-SSA-1099

DD214 (Military Discharge, Report of Separation)
Postmarked first-class mail

4. Pay applicable fee

See Colorado DMV fee schedule.  At the DMV office, you may pay by cash, check or credit card.

Senior citizens over age 60 may receive an ID card for free. If you are age 65 or older, you can renew online or by mail every time.

fire buildingID Record Keeping

In case of fire, keep your social security card, and copies of other ID cards, birth certificate, and important legal documents in a fireproof safe. Do not carry your social security card in your wallet, where it may be lost or stolen.

Store utility bills, bank statements, credit card statements, and insurance policies as digital files on your computer. Keep a backup copy off-site, in encrypted cloud storage, or on a flash drive in a fireproof safe.

Image Credits:
1. Colorado driver’s license, Colorado DMV
2. building fire, by Sylvain Pedneault (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Visit our website for Colorado Springs Mobile Notary services or Colorado Notary Training classes.

© Copyright 2016  ABC Legal Docs, LLC  All rights reserved.  Do not copy.  Citations welcome.  Terms of Use apply.

Please leave a go to Google reviewsBlog Review [new window]. Thank you!
+ +